Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker
How To Make Vegetable Biryani In Cooker (With Coconut Milk)
Soaking and marinating rice:
- Rinse 1 cup of basmati rice (200 grams) in water 5-6 times, till you see the water clear of starch. Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, strain the water well from the rice.
- Add 1 tsp of oil in the rice.
- Add ½ tsp salt.
- With a spoon or with your hands, mix the salt and oil very well with the rice grains. Keep aside.
Marinating Veggies With Coconut Milk
- While the rice is soaking, you can chop and prepare the vegetable mixture. Take 1 cup thick coconut milk in a pan or a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1.5 to 2 cups of chopped mixed veggies. Chop the veggies very finely so that they cook well.
- Add ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 3 tbsp chopped mint leaves.
- Add 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped) and spices – ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and ½ tsp garam masala powder (optional). Season with salt as per taste.
- Mix very well and keep aside. If you want, you can even marinate for 15 to 30 minutes. Check the taste and add more salt if required.
With curd – take curd in a bowl and whisk till smooth.
- Then add the spice powders, chopped green chilies and ginger-garlic paste.
- Add veggies, coriander + mint leaves and salt.
- Mix very well. You can even marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
Sauteing spices and onions
Next step is to heat a 3 litre pressure cooker and add 3 tbsp oil. Heat the oil and then add the whole spices and saute till they crackle and become fragrant.
- Then add 1 cup thinly sliced onions.
- Stir and begin to saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
Cooking onions does take some time, so add a pinch of salt to quicken the cooking process.
- First the onions will become light golden. Continue to cook them further.
- When the onions become golden, switch off the flame.
- Remove the cooker from the stovetop burner and place it on the kitchen tabletop or slab.Remove half of the fried onions on a plate. Keep aside. Some shahjeera will also come with the fried onions.
Layering And Pressure Cooking Vegetable Biryani
- With a spoon, evenly spread the fried onions which are in the cooker.
- Now with a spoon, pour the veggie mixture evenly.
- Make an even layer of all the veggie mixture.
- Next spread all the rice evenly on the veggie mixture layer.
- Add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 2 tbsp mint leaves and chopped ginger or ginger julienne evenly all over the rice. At this step add the fried onions also on the layer.
- Sprinkle a generous pinch of saffron strands all over.
- Now sprinkle 1 to 2 tsp rose water or kewra water evenly all over.
- Now pour 1 to 1.25 cups water gently all around along the sides of the
cooker. Don’t add water in the center.
- Cover the cooker with its lid with the vent weight/whistle attached to the lid. On a low flame cook the vegetable biryani in the pressure cooker for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- once the pressure settles down, then open the lid.
Garnish with the remaining fried onions and Serve pressure cooker vegetable biryani with your favorite raita, salad or a side gravy like biryani shorba or mirchi ka salan.